Drugs And College Students
College life to some is often associated with parties where binge drinking and abuse of recreational and prescription drugs are common.
One of the bigger groups of substance addicts countrywide are college pupils.
Dependence is a plague that affects people that fit into the age range that goes from 18 to 24.
Many students experience social anxiety when they enter college. The temptation to consume alcohol is strong primarily because students overwhelmingly believe that alcohol makes it easier for them to socialise. Binge drinking is not something that every student starts doing as soon as he enters college, but drinking on a regular basis pushes many students onto the path of addiction.
It is surprising to know that students enrolled to attend college full time are 2x more likely to become addicts or drug abusers compared to those who are out of school.
Reasons For Drug Abuse In Colleges
There are many reasons why so many college students become addicted to drugs and alcohol
- Students are usually required to face the high demands of coursework, part-time jobs, internships, social obligations and various other things, which make them turn to drugs as a method of coping.
- Course Load
- Wanting to succeed always makes the students study harder and they can use some stimulants in a bid to enhance their concentration.
- These prescription medications are usually obtained without a legitimate prescription in most cases.
- Urge To Experiment
- From a personal and professional perspective, pupils are placed before new phases of their lives.
- It is almost usual among people at this age to explore and experiment with new things and experiences in life.
- Group/Social/Peer Pressure
- Your environment and the kind of people who surround you are more likely to influence your person and your decision making.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Prevalence Of Diet Pills And Eating Disorders In Campus
Eating disorders are highly common among college students who are considered to be at an elevated risk in the development of such problems.
25% of all college students struggle with an eating disorder as specified by the National Institute Of Mental Health. Over the last two decades men and women who are affected by an eating disorder has shown a tremendous growth, and this number is alarmingly constantly on the rise. Desperate to lose weight, a large number of students resort to diet pills to achieve their weight loss goals. Death and other health complications can occur because of this. There is information about the effects that come with the use of these drugs.
Types Of Drugs Found In Higher Institutions
Many new drugs are being introduced in the campuses every.
With that said, certain drugs are most commonly abused in college campuses. These include
- Alcohol is attributed to most cases of campus troubles that are related to substance use.
- It is also tricky to tell if a student is addicted to liquor or not because it is something that is used in many social events.
- Many college pupils take drugs that improve their performance, one of them is Adderall, also referred to as the "study drug".
- Many students are using Marijuana as talks about legalizing it are becoming popular.
- Marijuana beats alcohol consumption in some campuses.
- Ecstasy also known as molly or MDMA, is making its comeback since it was first introduced in the early 90's.
- Students in college are within the target age range for this "party drug" that is often abused by teenagers and young adults in their 20s.
- MDMA is widely abused at raves and gigs.
Alcohol Effects On College Students
Alcohol gained its notoriety as the most popular and legally accessible substance among college students. Consuming alcohol is synonymous with the experience in college and alcohol is always present during house parties, sporting events and student get-togethers.
This means that the people in these colleges will end up taking more alcohol compared to their agemates that are not in these institutions.
Survey reveals that a staggering 80% of college students drink alcohol.
The Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism have reported that nearly half of the population in colleges indulge in excessive drinking. Excessive consumption of alcohol is not just a major health concern within the long-term, but it can also cause immediate tragedies such as assault, injury, arrest and even fatalities. The students in higher institutions are always educated about the dangers of alcohol.
Greek Life And Misuse
The students in the Greek system tend to drink more than those that are not even though they have an environment that hinders them from doing that.
Adderall is one of the most overused prescription substances within fraternities and sororities, way more than students outside the Greek system.
Getting The Assistance Required For Dependency On Drugs Or Alcohol
Don't go through harsh times alone if you are a college pupil having troubles with heavy drinking, prescription drug overuse, or an unhealthy eating behaviour. Our addiction specialists can get you in touch with caring and experienced counsellors to help you overcome this problem. Gain your life back from overuse and dependence by contacting us now on 0800 772 3971.